|We had Honeysuckle, Lilacs, and other shrubs where the pond was to be located, all of which were there for many years and well grown. We got a back-hoe and trenched around the plants to encourage new root growth to start. We hoped would be less stressful to the shrubs when we moved them.|
|The plan seemed good but what to do with the holes that were left? After all the last thing I wanted was more grass to mow. This is when the idea of a pond came into play. A back hoe was called in to help move the shrubs and to start the rough digging for the pond. Four hours later we had ourselves a b-i-g hole in the ground!|
|Since the soil was sand, not clay and we had no natural source of water, a liner was needed. A fish safe rubber liner was recommended but costs were so high that a PVC liner was the way we had to go. The thought was that the PVC would last about 10 years and by then we would have changes we would want to make anyway. Also the PVC liner was available locally at Hinspergers Poly Industries (902-893-4458).|
|With all the ordering done the time was right to start hand digging and shaping the pond. Shelves were dug for plants and the ground was smoothed so that the underlay and liner would not have any chance of damage.|
Next was water-water-water.|
We used the well and the garden hose
and pumped for four days on and off.
Things were starting to look good.